A great headshot is extremely important for your business. Based on your portrait, prospective clients or employers will decide whether they would like to work with you. We have photographed corporate headshots for many years and we know what works best. We will bring out the best in you, and having a headshot that represents the best you will speak volumes about you and your business.
Clothing is the most important factor in your headshot, but it is clearly not the focus. We want to focus the attention where you want it - not on your clothing, but on you and your face. Wearing the wrong clothing will take attention away from your face. Here are some tips for wearing the right clothing for a professional corporate headshot.
- Dress in the fashion which best represents you and your company.
- For a formal business portrait, dress as if you are making a presentation to your most important clients. For a more casual portrait, dress in something which looks upscale and casual-dressy, for example, a blazer or a sweater over a button-down shirt or blouse.
- Wear a solid dark suit, a pressed and well-fitting light colored shirt, and a dark tie. Avoid prints and fine patterns.
- Wear darker shades. They are more flattering and slimming, but black is not always the best color. Navy, dark gray, chocolate, forest green, eggplant or a rich brown also can work very well.
- Avoid wearing bold stripes, plaids, checks, dots and prints, they are confusing and do not photograph well.
- Avoid wearing a light-gray suit.
- Avoid turtlenecks - they make your neck look short.
- Do not wear short sleeves or sleeveless.
- Loud ties and flashy jewelry divert attention from your face. Stick with simple and elegant.
Hair and makeup for women
- If you are doing your own makeup, apply as you might for a formal evening out. Be sure to bring your makeup with you for any last-minute touch-ups.
- If you “never wear makeup” you might want to at least use some for your photo session.
- If you are doing your own hair, remember to bring some hair product (if you use it).
- Bring a hair brush or comb to the session.
Grooming for men
Shave just before your photo session. If you have an afternoon session, be sure to shave around mid-day
Don’t cut your hair the day before your shoot! It will look like you just got a haircut.